James H. Coffman received his 7th-degree black belt 1977-, began his study of karate in 1960 in Okinawa under Fusei Kise. He has over fifty plus years experience in the Okinawan Shorinji-Ryu style & Matsumura Seito Shorin-Ryu under Hohan Soken. Coffman, O’Sensei Soken’s 1st American student (1961) is dedicated to tradition and believes it takes a lifetime of training and devotion to master a style.
Matsumura Seito Shorin-Ryu, one of the oldest and most widely respected systems of karate, has retained the same teaching methods originally used in the 1700’s. Shorin-Ryu, a hard-style, as a matter of necessity, has always equally emphasized fighting, forms and weaponry as a means of self-defense.
When Sensei Coffman developed these DVDs he had one goal: to have people learn the art of Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Karate. He has worked hard to see that all students get the personal attention they require. Each DVD has information the student can learn and study for years to come.
- Basics of Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Karate (Part 1): Sensei Coffman uses his vast knowledge and experience to show and explain in detail what every beginner needs to know about stances, punches, kicks, blocks, self-defense, and kata.
- Basics of Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Karate (Part 2): DVD 2 reinforces and builds on DVD 1. Learn to use your knowledge in combinations and increase your flexibility, while learning the second kata.
- The Complete Workout: Sensei Coffman leads you and his class through an entire one-hour workout, one of the best workouts anywhere.
- The Okinawan Bo/Staff: One of the oldest and best liked weapons of many martial artists. Learn how to master this unique and formidable weapon.
- The Sai: These are small swords used in pairs. They were used to defend against the two-handed Samurai sword.
- The Nunchaku: Bruce Lee made this weapon popular among many martial artists. Now you can learn the traditional way the weapon is used.
Additional DVDs: Call for information on additional DVD’s. Guide to Karate-Do, Kama, Tonfa, The Complete Guide to The Stun Gun.