Let me start by saying although it is a shame to talk
about someone that has died...but the truth is always and always will be the truth.
- Ray Gonthier was stationed in Okinawa during the late 1960's (1967-8)..
- He studied karate under Master Fusie Kise at the Kadena AFB karate
- Ray reached the level of Sho-Dan upon his leaving Okinawa.
- Ray NEVER studied with or under Grand Master "Hohan Soken".
- Ray Gonthier was a member of SMOKA during the late 1970's.
- Ray Gonthier although he was a nice guy, had a "very low skill
level in karate". I know this to be the truth for the following
When I asked Fusei Kise (1976 at my home, in
Maryland) with others present i.e. Ron Lindsey, Fred Sypher, Deus
Marchacos, Kirk Laleman and others... How did he get a black belt?
Sensei Kise's reply stated that he gave Ray Gonthier his black
belt because he was leaving Okinawa and said he would start a dojo
here in the States, not because of his ability.
- I have taught several Karate seminars for and with Ray Gonthier
being a participant, therefore I know 1st hand of his knowledge
and skill level.
- I have reviewed him doing kata, as well as instructing him; both
observing and sparring with him.
- The reason Ray is even mentioned here is that Charles Garrett
was promoted to the level of 6th Degree Black belt by Ray Gonthier.